Dudleytown , CT
Dudleytown is an abandoned 18th century village in
Connecticut. Though controversial with historians and
Dudleytown is one of the most intriguing haunted sites in
The first settler in Dudleytown was Thomas Griffis, who
plot of land in about 1738. Others, including the men of the
bought land and settled in the area around Griffis during the
people in the area helped to support themselves by cutting
iron production in a nearby town. Life for these early
difficult. The soil in the area is rocky and acidic. Being in
three mountains Dudleytown receives little sun.
The intriguing part comes from the curse that many believe the
family brought with them when they came from England. This is
various sources begin to disagree. Some say that the Dudleys
long line of damned people, including a primary carrier of the
Plague and a Lord who lost his head along with Lady Jane Grey.
believe that the Dudleys tangled with powerful royals who
a curse put on them. (This is also the reason given as to why
England.) People also think that the land itself was
long before the town was founded.
Though it is assumed that Abiel, Barzillai,
and Abijah Dudley
were all brothers, there is no proof. At any rate, Abiel is
brother to appear in the records, having been listed in tax
1744. Abiel was also one of the first victims of the curse,
as well as his money. He lived hand to mouth for the rest of
odd jobs for the townspeople in order to earn his keep.
Insanity, murder and suicide were rapidly
a staple of life in
Dudleytown. The first recorded fatality happened in 1792, when
Hollister fell while repairing a barn. Hollister is believed
murdered by William Tanner, who owned the barn. Turner soon
to the controversy.
Just after moving away from Dudleytown in 1763, most of the
family was wiped out by Indians. In 1804, Sara Faye Swift was
lightening and killed. Her husband, General Herman Swift ( a
Revolutionary War ) went crazy afterwards. Dudleytown's most
Mary Cheney ( wife of Horace Greeley ) hung herself in 1872.
Many strange tales were told about Dudleytown
the 19th century.
People reported seeing strange beasts and apparitions. Corpse
were reported, along with still more suspicious and unusual
people began to give up on Dudleytown, and it was mostly
However, people still tried to live in
During the 1920's Dr.
William C. Clark set up a summer home in the abandoned town.
came back from a business trip to find his wife laughing
told her husband about the apparitions and demons that
visited while he
was absent. She killed herself when they returned to New York.
Dr. Williams remarried and continued to spend his summers in
fact, he formed the Dark Entry Forrest Association, which
Many visitors today often report lots of
and laughing. A woman on a white horse has been spotted among
apparitions. People also hear wagon wheels and other sounds of
one thing that people do not hear in Dudleytown are
and other life
sounds. Living animals seem to flee the area. Some
that this area
is a vortex, or simply an area of negative energy that
spirits and people.
Dudleytown can be difficult for visitors. The site is
because many people report getting minor injuries, being
by unseen hands, or simply overcome by feelings of despair. As
before, the area is owned by the Dark Entry Forrest
after dark are considered trespassers. There are no signs
location as the locals are concerned about vandals and
choose to visit Dudleytown please obey local laws and exercise