The Edgar Allen Poe House
People often take it for granted that Edgar Allen Poe's
could be haunted. Though his ghost has been spotted other
his old home
on 203 N. Amity Street in Baltimore is haunted by someone else.
The building is a two and a half story brick row house. It is
and narrow. The attic room that Poe lived in is so tiny that
have trouble standing up in it. The house was built in 1830,
aunt Maria Clemm rented it in 1832. Poe himself lived there
until 1835, along with her, his grandmother, and two cousins.
cousins was Virginia Clemm, whom he later married.)
In 1939 the house was almost demolished during a "slum
It was taken over by the Edgar Allen Poe society of Baltimore
house is open to the public and operated by Jeff Jerome, who
curator since 1977. One of the interesting things that can be
is a portrait of Poe's wife painted from her corpse.
Doors and windows in the Poe house often open and close by
1968 a local resident called the police after seeing a light
the closed building late at night. When the police arrived
candle-like light move from the first floor, through the
and up to
the attic. When they went into the house no one was there.
Curator Jeff Jerome has stated to several sources that the
spirits has not been determined. Most of the activity has
the bedroom that was once Poe's grandmother's. (Jerome has
many people have lived there besides Poe. Have lived there.
was a rental house in a slum area.) Elizabeth Poe did die in
1835. In her room many people have been tapped on the
people gathered for a radio station publicity stunt heard
noises. Several psychics have reported seeing visions of
dressed in clothing of the 1830s. She has grey hair and is
Psychics have also reported sensations in Virginia's room and
During the 1940s the building became surrounded by Poe
first housing project. Since then, the neighborhood residents
their own stories about the Poe museum. Tales about his spirit
frighten children. A November 1985 New York Times article
street gangs were afraid of the house and therefore left it
residents have admitted to being scared of the place.
A recent article that appeared in the Baltimore Sun (September
reported on how the local residents felt about the Poe house.
believe that Poe's ghost terrorizes the neighborhood, running
rooftops and grabbing children to torture. A local man
August 1999 he looked the window to see a shadowy spirit
writing desk. (Others have reported this, though Poe actually
writing in the attic.)
The Poe house is open to the public, though the hours vary
season to season. For more detailed information about the
of it, and visiting hours the Edgar Allen Poe Society 's web
is an excellent resource.