In 1883, the land
was purchased by Major Thomas H. Hays. Where Major
Hays started a 1-room school house for his daughters. The teacher he
hired, Miss Lizzie Lee Harris, loved Sir Walter Scott?s Waverly novels
and named the school Waverley School.
Waverly Hills Sanatorium was built 1910 as a 2 story frame
building to accommodate about 50 tuberculosis patients maximum. But
later they realized with over 140 patients the growing epidemic was
demanding a big hospital.
In 1926 the sanitorium that exists today was built with the
idea of 500 available beds, Waverley Hills became home to thousands who
suffered and died there.
While there, one of the treatments for the patients was fresh
air. They would be lined up on windowless porches year round receiving
the best treatment there was. Antibiotics where not invented yet.
Electric blankets where developed to keep the patients warm in the
Because of the high death rate, the 500 foot long supply
tunnel was turned into the body chute. Where the bodies could be
disposed of without upsetting the patients who where still suffering.
Along with the patients, the healthy children of the patients
also lived there at times. Waverley was a tuberculosis hospital until
1961. It was closed and renovated in 1962 and reopened as WoodHaven
Medical Services until 1980 for the elderly. The state closed it in
1980 for alleged patient abuse.
Apparitions, objects moving, EVP?s, strange anomalies on film have all
been caught at this place.
The owners are trying to restore this building. They are using money
they collect for tours and TV specials to do this.
Please visit www.therealwaverlyhills.com
for tour, history, and media information.