Ectoplasm Mist Photos
by Dave Juliano (

One of the most dramatic types of positive photos we get on investigations are mist photos. These photos show various shapes of a fog or smoke-like substance hanging in the air. When these photos are taken, this mist is not usually visible to the photographer. While these mist photos are rarer than orb photos but they also seem appear primarily in areas where spirit activity is being reported.

The skeptics and debunkers have a field day with the mist photo. They say it is everything from cigarette smoke to the
photographers breath on a cold night. I would like to take this opportunity to address the most common explanations and also give you tips so that you can make sure your photos are good quality evidence. First off, the mist photos are not cigarette smoke. If you are an investigator, you should never smoke anywhere near an investigation site. This is simply common sense. In an indoor investigation, make sure all sources of smoke such as candles and fireplaces are out prior to you taking any photos. Over the past there years I have been keeping track of times of year, temperature, humidity and other variables to see if I could find a connection to ectoplasm mist to any natural explanation. After
reviewing this data, it is plain to see that there is no natural explanation for these mist photos. In simple terms, 60% of the mist photos obtained were taken in the colder months of November through March, the other 40% were obtained in all of the warmer months including July and August. The percentages are the same for the temperature range I divided them into, above 60 degrees (40%) and below 60 degrees (60%). This shows that 40% of the mist photos taken were obtained in temperatures where the photographers breath could not have caused the mist in the photo. When tracking
the humidity, I was looking to see it higher humidity was causing the mists because of the higher percentage of moisture in the air. My research showed that mist photos were obtained in all ranges of humidity and were actually more concentrated in the mid to lower ranges than in the higher ranges which leads me to conclude that moisture in the air is not the cause of mist photo either. Remember, good researchers do not take photos in the rain, snow and

It is a good practice to log in the weather data each time you conduct any research so you can look back at your results to see how they compare with mine and other researchers. You should first rule out the natural before you look for supernatural explanations. There are numerous theories on what ectoplasm mist photos are but by ruling out what it is not, we can get one step closer to finding out.

Back to The Shadowlands: Ghosts and Hauntings